What Are The Symptoms Of Otitis Media
Symptoms of ear infection include:
- Ear pain: This symptom is obvious in older children and adults. In infants too young to speak, look for signs of pain like rubbing or tugging ears, crying more than usual, trouble sleeping, acting fussy/irritable.
- Loss of appetite: This may be most noticeable in young children, especially during bottle feedings. Pressure in the middle ear changes as the child swallows, causing more pain and less desire to eat.
- Irritability: Any kind of continuing pain may cause irritability.
- Poor sleep: Pain may be worse when the child is lying down because the pressure in the ear may worsen.
- Fever: Ear infections can cause temperatures from 100° F up to 104° F. Some 50% of children will have a fever with their ear infection.
- Drainage from the ear: Yellow, brown, or white fluid that is not earwax may seep from the ear. This may mean that the eardrum has ruptured .
- Trouble hearing: Bones of the middle ear connect to the nerves that send electrical signals to the brain. Fluid behind the eardrums slows down movement of these electrical signals through the inner ear bones.
Treating Middle Ear Infections
Mild cases of infection can be treated quickly with paracetamol . Do not give regular paracetamol medicine for more than 24 hours without seeking advice from your doctor. It will help if you raise the head of your child’s bed.Some middle ear infections lead to the condition known as glue ear, when thick fluid in the middle ear causes slight deafness. This is not permanent, but it may need treatment. This can include antibiotics and surgery to insert pressure-equalising tubes in the ear drums. Children with glue ear usually recover in a few weeks after the fluid has drained away.
Dizziness Nausea And Vomiting
The Eustachian tube is also responsible for regulating our sense of balance. When we cant balance properly, we often become dizzy. Dizziness can lead to nausea, and nausea can cause vomiting.
Those who have been on the teacup ride at the fair have first-hand experience with this particular domino effect.
You May Like: Does Kevin Mccloud Wear A Hearing Aid
Preventing Ear Pain Before It Starts
If chronic ear infection is a problem, it should be noted that those living with smokers may need to deal with more ear issues, and breast fed infants have less than their formula fed ones. In addition, food allergies could contribute to a chronic ear infection many times. If you are dealing with chronic ear infection or other chronic health issues, you need to adjust your diet. Common allergens are tree nuts, peanuts, soy, eggs, gluten, and dairy. You can work with your doctor to see if you can identify any food that causes problem to you. Keep your ears always clean and dry so that you will be able to prevent ear related issues.
What Should I Do If I Have Earache
If you feel well in yourself and have an earache, you may be able to treat yourself with simple painkillers. Paracetamol or ibuprofen, if you can take it, usually works well for ear pain. However, a person with earache should see a doctor if:
- They are unwell with other symptoms such as a high temperature , a rash, being sick , confusion or drowsiness.
- They are younger than 3 months.
- They are younger than 6 months and have a temperature of more than 38Â°C.
- They are younger than 2 years and have pain in both ears.
- The earache has not improved after four days.
- The ear is discharging.
- There is something stuck in the ear.
- The pain is very severe and simple painkillers are not helping.
- They have other illnesses which might affect their ability to fight off an infection.
Also Check: Can An Ear Infection Make It Hurt To Chew
Don’t Sleep During An Airplane Descent
If you must doze off while flying, close your eyes at the beginning, not at the end of the trip, the Academy recommends. Rapid changes in air pressure occur during ascent as well, but ear pain is typically more acute during descent because atmospheric pressure increases as you move closer to the ground. Since you dont swallow as often when youre asleep, your ears wont be able to keep up with the pressure changes during descent, and you might wake up in pain.
How To Get Rid Of Ear Infection
While some cases require medical attention, most ear infections clear on their own. Rest and some home remedies will usually do the trick.
1. Holding a Warm Piece of Cloth over the Ear
Applying a warm compress relieves pain. You can do this in the following ways:
- Dip a piece of cloth in warm water, drain and hold it over the affected ear.
- Microwave a clean sock filled with either rice or beans for about 25 seconds and hold it on the ear.
- Alternatively, do the same with one cup of salt. Heat some salt and put it in a bean bag. Place it on the infected ear while lying down making sure that the temperature is not too high to make you uncomfortable. The heated salt will draw out any fluid from the infected ear and subsequently reduce pain and swelling.
- Do this for 10-15 minutes every day until the pain subsides.
Garlic is an effective natural remedy for ear infection. It has antimicrobial and antiviral properties. You can use garlic in any of the following ways:
- Start by eating one or two cloves of fresh garlic every day to boost immunity and fight the infection.
- Crush a few cloves of boiled cloves add some salt before placing them in a clean piece of cloth and putting it on the affected ear.
- Fry some cloves of garlic in mustard oil until they are dark. Strain and leave to cool before putting a few drops into the affected ear using a dropper.
3. Olive Oil
You may substitute white vinegar for ACV if thats what you have.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Recommended Reading: How To Prevent Hearing Aids From Falling Out
How To Choose A Product
Its important to choose a high-quality olive oil if youre using it for medicinal purposes. When choosing an olive oil, look for extra virgin olive oil. This type of olive oil isnt chemically processed, .
You can also purchase olive oilbased herbal ear drops. These contain extracts from medicinal plants, such as garlic, that might provide added benefits. You can purchase these drops on .
Recommended Reading: How Do You Say Black In Sign Language
When To See A Doctor For An Earache
Sometimes no amount of self-care or over-the-counter medication can help an ear infection. Knowing when to see a doctor can help further complications from developing.
If your earache is severe or accompanied by other symptoms such as a fever or hearing loss, you should see a doctor. You might be referred to an ear, nose, and throat doctor.
In some cases, people with a chronic ear infection may need to have surgery. Doctors can put small tubes into the eardrum that will help prevent ear infections. The tubes allow air to flow into the middle ear and fluid to drain.
Leaving an ear infection untreated can cause the infection to spread or cause permanent problems with balance and hearing loss.
Also Check: Can You See An Inner Ear Infection
Other Remedies That May Help
These other at-home remedies may provide some relief:
- Neck exercises. Rotating and stretching your neck can help ease pressure thats built up in your ear canal.
- Ginger. With its anti-inflammatory properties, using ginger juice around the outer ear canal may soothe pain.
- Hydrogen peroxide. Place a few drops of hydrogen peroxide into your ear. After a few minutes, let it drain into a sink. Rinse off your ear.
When Should I Talk To A Doctor About An Ear Infection
If the ear infection symptoms dont improve within a few days, make a primary care appointment. Other signs that its time to see a doctor include:
- Ear pain that lasts more than two days
- Fluid draining from the ear
- Changes or loss of hearing
- Fever over 102 degrees Fahrenheit
- Frequent or recurrent ear infections
You May Like: Why Do My Ears Ring At Night
When To Call A Doctor For Your Earache
If you have ear pain, you need to see a doctor. But if theres no pain, also make an appointment if you have hearing loss or if your ears stay plugged up for more than a couple of days after a cold. You could already have an ear infection or fluid in the middle ear, says Facer. Left untreated, an ear infection can cause permanent hearing loss. Ten to 14 days of antibiotics is the usual course of treatment.
How Do I Use It
While theres no clear evidence about the effectiveness of olive oil on its own for common ear problems, its also not associated with any serious health consequences, so you can still try it to see for yourself.
To apply drops to your ear, use a glass dropper or you can dip a cotton swab in olive oil and allow the excess to drip into your ear. Dont put the cotton swab or any other object in your ear.
You can use room-temperature olive oil, though some people prefer to warm it up in a pan over low heat. Make sure to test the temperature on your skin first. The oil should be just slightly warm, not hot.
Follow these instructions to safely apply olive oil to your ears at home:
Tailor the application to your need, and contact your doctor if you arent seeing the desired results:
You May Like: Cleaning Guinea Pig Ears
You May Like: What Does It Mean When One Ear Starts Ringing
Causes Of Middle Ear Earache
The middle ear is separated from the external ear canal by the eardrum, and this is the location of nerves involved with hearing. It is a relatively closed space and anything that increases pressure in the middle ear will cause pain.
- Middle ear infections are a common cause of otitis media especially in children. These are commonly caused by a virus or bacteria that invades and infects stagnant fluid in the middle ear.
- Serious otitis media describes fluid collection within the middle ear and is usually due to Eustachian tube dysfunction. This is the tube that drains fluid and equalizes pressure between the middle ear and the back of the throat. Increased pressure may cause pain and fullness but usually resolves over time. However, this fluid may also become infected, causing pain and fever.
Lymph Node Inflammation Behind The Ear
There are lymph nodes behind the ear. Lymph nodes are where your immune cells live, and when they become enlarged, it could be from a nearby infection, immune response, or even backlog of blood.
You should see your primary care doctor tomorrow for a sick visit. There, the doctor can look at what could explain the enlarged node behind your ear.
You May Like: How To Improve Hearing Loss Naturally
What Home Remedies Relieve Ear Pain And Cure Ear Infections
Natural and over-the-counter nonprescription remedies for ear infections:
Which parts of the ear can become infected?
Treating An Middle Ear Infection
You May Like: What To Treat A Yeast Infection With
Also Check: How To Heal An Ear Infection
When To Call A Doctor
Ear pain often gets better in 2 or 3 days on its own or with home care. Often all you need to do is take a pain reliever and be alert for symptoms that get worse. That said, itâs important to know when your discomfort might be a sign of something more serious.
- You have a high fever, headache, or are dizzy.
- You believe an object is stuck in your ear.
- You see swelling behind your ear, especially if that side of your face feels weak or you canât move the muscles there.
- Youâve had severe ear pain and it suddenly stops .
- Your symptoms donât get better in 24 to 48 hours.
The Reasons For Ear Infections
You will also want to cleanse the ears properly. Dont use earbuds in the ear. Cleaning the ears will help to remove wax, so it is nowhere for bacteria to build up. This is a highly common problem in children and adults and is also known as swimmers ear. It will feel like the ear is blocked and has water within it. You may also find that youre hard of hearing, as the wax blocks the ability for sound to travel through to the inner ear.
Middle ear infections can be due to an allergy or an actual infection. Of course, infections can be viral or bacterial, and antibiotics arent going to work on the viral infections!
Make sure you consider the reasons for the infection. Find out from your doctor about the type of infection you or your child haveasking about inner or outer ear infections. This will help you choose the best type of home remedy mentioned above. Remember if there is pus, then you need to avoid anything that goes into your ear.
If your home cures dont clear the infection up within a couple of days and you havent spoken to a doctor yet, make sure you book an appointment. If you have already spoken to a doctor, you will need to share the newer results with them to help them figure out the real reason for the infection.
You May Like: Can A 4 Month Old Have An Ear Infection
What Natural Or Home Remedies Soothe And Provide Earache Pain Relief
Earaches may often be treated at home. The goal is to decrease inflammation and pain.