Free Videos To Help You And Your Kids Learn Sign Language Online
1. This video consists of a song in which babies, infants and young children learn basic signs. These signs relate to eating, drinking, clothing, body parts and communicating phrases like thank you and sorry. The length of the video is 54 minutes, so start watching it right away!
2. Learn 38 basic signs in 2 minutes. This is a great video for learning many words in a short time. You might have to watch it a few times.
3. This video is all about animals. If you watch the entire clip, youll learn the signs for 16 different animals.
4. This video is all about school. All elements in the clip are school-related, from signing about going to school in the morning to learning the signs for letters and numbers. Dont forget to pack your lunch!
5. Watch this video in order to learn your ABCs. This clip will teach you the entire alphabet, from A to Z. Youll learn how to spell words out in ASL! You can .
6. Kids need role models its good for them! Get your children motivated by having them watch Pharrell Williamss Happy. In this video, the song is sung in ASL. What could be a better remix than that?
7. In this video, be prepared to learn how to sign colors in 1 minute. The clip may not be very long, but by the time its over youll know how to sign 9 colors in ASL.
Why Is Sign Language Important
Sign language is a method of communication for the deaf and hard of hearing. Like spoken languages, it has unique rules of grammar and syntax. One of the most famous sign languages, American Sign Language, is used by around one million people. The deaf community promotes language skills through school and home learning methods and advocates for ASL as a standard method of communication. Schools such as Gallaudet University promote inclusion and accessibility rights in addition to providing quality education specifically for deaf people. Signers frequently experience discrimination in accessibility, but the long history of sign language is a vital part of the expansion of rights for the deaf community. The language has native signers just like any other human language, and young children today have access to more resources than ever.
Learn Online By Watching Videos
Like many things these days, you can learn easily online! There are plenty of resources, like YouTube or BSL Zone where you can watch videos with sign language. Any form of video is a great way to watch and you can replay it as many times as you like, in the comfort of your own home.
Read more: Easily learn sign language by studying these GIFs
Also Check: American Sign Language Hungry
Buyers Guide: What To Look Out For In An Asl App
Choosing the right app to learn American Sign Language can seem daunting. Youll want to choose one that fits your budget and suits both your learning goals and style. In particular, the ASL apps on this list are either interactive in a 1-1 setting or solo-style learning, like The ASL App or Lingvano.
So, we suggest you consider the following points before making a decision:
- Instructors experience if youre going to invest time and money into a Sign language app, you want to know that youre learning accurate information from people who know what theyre talking about.
- Develop skills a good ASL app shouldnt keep you on one level. Instead, it should encourage you to expand your vocabulary and advance in your learning!
- Great techniques of course, you want to learn some valuable knowledge that you can put to use in the real world. So, you need to be sure that the app caters to real-world scenarios.
- Syllabus and skill level make sure whats on offer is what youre looking for! Are you looking for a complete beginner course? Or do you have some basic ASL knowledge that youre looking to build upon?
- Price obviously, youll want to choose something thats in budget. But its also important to consider the value youre getting too. If one app is twice the price but has more state-of-the-art methods and teaching, which one would be more worthwhile?
Printable Sign Language Charts
Printable sign language charts are good for instant reference. Put a few in your pocket, place them around the house, or spend some time memorizing them to learn offline.
Start ASL’s free sign language chart of common words provides images of words like “what,” “how,” “hungry,” “bathroom,” “woman,” and “food” being signed. Instructions for how to sign are below most of them.
Alphabet fingerspelling provides two sets of pictures you can print for learning the alphabet. Both sets have the letters on the hands, but they also have a version without the letters for practice.
Print individual letters in sign language for large, printable letters of the alphabet represented in sign language. One way to use these is to print them off and place them next to objects that start with that letter for passive learning.
These numbers/common words/letters are similar to the other printables here with four images you can print for keywords, such as “how,” “which,” “where,” “yes,” “please,” “thanks,” “goodbye,” etc. There are also printables for the alphabet and numbers 1 through 10.
You May Like: Im Sorry In Sign Language
Asl Connect From Gallaudet University
Gallaudet University, a private school for the deaf and hard of hearing, has this ASL Connect program to help you learn sign language from home. There are over 20 videos to help you learn everything from colors, letters, and numbers to themes regarding sports, family, weather, basic needs, places, and more.
There are also basic, interactive sign language lessons you can take part in. These include three modulesPersonal Information, Making an Encounter, and Peopleeach with their own set of lessons such as greetings, telling your name, making an introduction, vocabulary, and more.
Learn Asl Online At Gallaudet University
Gallaudet University is Americas leading university for deaf students and professional ASL instructors. At present, Gallaudet University also offers four different online ASL courses, each costing just $300.
- After enrolling at Gallaudet University, you will receive a university-grade sign language education from the most respected deaf university in the United States.
- Gallaudet Universitys four courses take you from being an ASL beginner with no sign language experience, to someone who can create and carry complex narratives and dialogue.
- Video instruction in each Gallaudet University ASL course, allows you to learn by interacting with other ASL speakers, just like you might in real life.
Don’t Miss: Diy Earwax Candle
Udemy: Asl Expressions Lessons #1
This Udemy course consists of 7 lectures and will take an hour and a half to work through. All of the lessons come with downloadable PDFs that you can use for future reference or even print out so that you can easily follow along with the material!
Tara Adams is your instructor shes been teaching ASL for more than 15 years. By the end of this course, you should have the necessary skills to partake in basic ASL conversations and construct sentences. Some of the things youll learn include introducing yourself, responding to questions, and asking for signs that you dont know.
Youll come away from the course with a knowledge of 120+ signs, 60+ phrases, and the ability to fingerspell. Youll also learn about numbers, basic ASL grammar, and important notes regarding deaf and ASL culture.
- Low time commitment: 7 lectures, 1h35m
- Lifetime access to course content
- Comes with a course completion certificate
Can You Learn Sign Language Online
Different groups, including both the Deaf community and the hearing population, rely on sign language to communicate through hand movements, facial expressions, lip patterns, and hand shapes. Online sign language classes can help students learn anywhere through in-depth lessons. So, can you learn sign language online? Read on to find out.
Don’t Miss: Phonak Compilot Air Ii Pairing To Hearing Aid
Best Websites And Apps To Learn Sign Language
If you or someone you know is deaf or hard of hearing, you understand how hard it can be trying to have a conversation. Straining to hear is frustrating to say the last, and lip reading can be a difficult task that takes years to master. Luckily, there is a solution sign language!
Sign language is a non-verbal method of communication, which uses sequences of hand gestures to convey messages from person to person. It is just as much of a language as English, French, Italian, or any other language, and even has its own slang words, dictionary, and dialectal variations.
If youre looking to learn sign language at home, youre in luck! Were here to tell you about some of the best places to learn sign language online. Before we get into that, lets cover some of the more traditional methods of sign language learning, so you can get an idea of how it would normally be taught.
Get Started With Professional Tutors
Learning sign language online can be ideal for accessing professional tutors and resources crucial for understanding the language quickly. Besides having fun learning the language to promote communication with the Deaf community, learning sign language online expands your language comprehension skills. If you are learning sign language for career purposes, learning online enables you to have a reliable learning platform.
Here at LanguageBird, we can help you get started with learning sign language efficiently and effectively online. To find out more about our courses and what makes us different from other online language programs, below!
Don’t Miss: How To Say Im Hungry In Sign Language
There Are Slang Signs In Asl The Same Way Spoken Languages Have Slang Words
The same as how spoken languages have slang words, sign languages have their own slang. ASL even has signs for words like emoji and selfie. Some people consider these signs to not be proper signs, just as how some people would argue that slang words arent proper language. If youre using sign language to have a casual conversation, you may want to try adding a few slang signs to your sign language vocabulary as well.
Ask Your Deaf Friends And Family Teach You
Asking a Deaf friend to teach you some sign language is a great way of making new Deaf friends! If you know friends or family use sign language already, asking them to teach you some signs will also remove some stresses from the struggle of oral/spoken conversation with them making the exchange beneficial for both of you.
Just make sure your friend or family member uses sign language before asking them, as not all people who have hearing loss know sign language.
Recommended Reading: What Does Ringing Ears Mean Spiritually
Join A Sign Language Group Deaf Club Or Visit A Deaf Caf
Many cities have deaf clubs or groups of deaf people who meet regularly and quite often use sign language as their form of communication. Its a fantastic place to meet new people, who share hearing loss in common as well as the chance to polish your sign language skills. You can contact a Deaf charity or organization nearby, or search for a group using websites such as Meetup.com to find a group for you.
More American Sign Language Resources
The Benefits of Learning ASL
There are dozens of benefits of learning ASL, from professional to social. Here are just a few of the reasons why its a great idea to learn sign language online.
- Knowing a second language is an added bonus on any resume and will further qualify you for customer service roles.
- Take advantage of the exciting career opportunities that are available for those fluent in sign language, such as concert interpreters and speech pathologists.
Physical and mental benefits
- Increase your brain power! Learning any language, including ASL, has been found to enhance cognitive processes such as problem solving and memorization.
- Using signs helps young children develop fine motor skills and muscle memory more quickly.
- Gain a better understanding of the rich and diverse Deaf culture, which includes art, music, and poetry.
- Open the door to countless opportunities for new friendships within the Deaf community. If you like making friends and crossing cultural barriers, American Sign Language classes are an excellent choice!
- Speaking sign language makes many recreational activities much more fun. You can use sign language while on a nature walk to avoid disturbing the wildlife, or while camping to have long distance conversations using binoculars.
Tips for Practicing ASL
You May Like: Connecting Phonak To Iphone
American Sign Language Level 1
This course teaches you the basics of communicating using ASL. It talks about the origins of the language. The topics covered include the alphabet, fingerspelling, colors, animals, foods and drinks, family signs, feelings, professions, verbs, and key nouns. You will also learn to demonstrate a short story in ASL with clarity. Dont forget to check our curation of Best American Accent Courses.
The course material includes video lectures and downloadable resources.
You will get the material you need for practicing vocabulary and sentences.
The ASL course comes with a Certificate of Completion.
Udemys ASL courses can be accessed using a computer, mobile phone, and TV.
Review: I am really enjoying from an actual person instead of pictures in books.-Lisa Barnes.
Best For Beginners: Asl Meredith
For a complete ASL beginner, ASL Meredith is an online, self-paced course designed to teach the foundations of grammar, vocabulary, and conversation.
The creator of the beginner course, Meredith, is a certified ASL instructor with a Masters degree in Teaching ASL as a Foreign Language. Meredith, a hearing person, learned sign language from a childhood friend at an early age. She now teaches lessons in-person, through her online portal, and on YouTube and Instagram.
ASL Merediths Foundations of ASL course was created to assist potential learners who didnt have financial or physical access to sign language courses. It consists of six modules, complete with video instruction, practice assignments, and quizzes designed to guide students through conversation and comprehension with increasing complexity.
The estimated completion time for the course is six weeks, but as it is self-guided, learners can take as little or as much time as they need. The beginner class costs around $179 and includes lifetime access, but ASL Meredith offers a payment plan of about $49 per month to be made over the course of four months.
Also Check: Baby Sign For Hungry
How Can I Learn Sign Language For Free
Building Sign Language Understanding
The deaf community has had a profound effect on English and the culture of the United States. Whether it’s ASL, British Sign Language, or other variants, the work of the deaf community to bring understanding to modern culture is extraordinary. edX can provide a path for a more in-depth understanding of sign language history as well as many other fields that interest you. You can begin your journey at your own pace and allow edX and partner institutions to build a foundation of learning.
You May Like: How Do You Say God In Sign Language
How Much Does It Cost
App prices mentioned in this review vary. SignSchool is completely free of charge but the others range from $2.50 per lesson to $9.99 monthly. For italki and Preply, where you choose your price range, youre looking at between $8 and $30 an hour depending on your tutor.
Some of the apps mentioned here also include lifetime premium or one time payments. With Ace ASL, for example, youre looking at a one-off payment of around $17.
If you factor in each apps different features and scope, most of these are pretty good value for money .
So, if you consider the breadth of topics youll get with these apps, it usually works out more cost-effective than in-person lessons or tutoring, which can cost at least $20 an hour.
How To Learn Sign Language Online
In brief, sign language utilizes visual communication systems expressed by hand, face, and lip movements. It is a comprehensive visual language with similar linguistic traits as a spoken language. Generally, North Americans who are deaf or experiencing difficulty hearing rely on American Sign Language as a method of communication. Other people can use ASL to communicate with deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals.
If you are looking to learn sign language, the online platform offers various ways to understand gestures or movements used in the Deaf community. Sign language immersion enables you to communicate effectively with Deaf individuals. Here are some ways to learn sign language online:
You May Like: Im Hungry In Sign Language
Learn Asl At Udemy And Skillshare
Do you want to learn ASL, but is $300 per course a little beyond your budget? If so, there are cheaper alternatives to courses at Gallaudet University available from places Udemy and Skillshare. Many of these start at just $50. However, it is important to remember that not all courses are created equal.
If you do hope to use ASL to get noticed by employers, a certificate from Gallaudet University will help you do this. By comparison, a certificate from Udemy probably wont. This being the case, if you do want to learn ASL, make sure to weigh the pros and cons of different courses carefully.
Check out Languagers Website for more resources.