Ear Infection Home Treatments And Remedies
Ear infections can occur in the outer ear , middle ear , and inner ear . Natural and home remedies to treat pain include:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen and acetaminophen
- Applying a warm compress on the infected ear.
- Applying naturopathic ear drops with ginger, tea tree, or olive oil may help with pain and inflammation.
Talk with your doctor or pediatrician before using any herbal or naturopathic medicine for ear infections.
How Long Does A Blocked Ear Last
Youre on day two. Your right ear is still completely blocked. You havent been able to hear a thing in that direction since yesterday morning. Your left ear is picking up the slack, of course, but only being able to hear from a single direction leaves you feeling off-balance. You were hoping it would have cleared up after a good nights sleep, but thats not the case. So, how long will your blocked ear last?
It probably wont be a huge shock to learn that the single biggest factor in predicting the duration of your blocked ear will be the cause of the blockage. Some blockages go away on their own and rather quickly at that others might linger and require medical intervention.
As a rule of thumb, though, if your blockage lasts you might want to seek out some help.
Proven Ways To Clear Ear Infections Naturally
Do your ears tend to hurt a lot? Do you feel dull and ill, like youre going to be sick any moment? Does your ear feel like its constantly full and youre having trouble hearing? If you have any of those symptoms, then you might be suffering from an ear infection. Ear infections can affect any part of the ear. Theyre unpleasant and take a very long time to clear if not attended to properly. There are different causes for ear infections, but one indisputable fact is that theyre really unpleasant and highly contagious so you always want to do the best you can to get rid of them quick. This article will show you how to heal ear infections.
You might have heard of various ear infection remedies, but what are the best ways to cure an ear infection? Some might say to turn to an antibiotic or to your General Practitioner. Of course, if you have any serious concerns about your hearing or your health, you should always talk to a medical professional. However, if youre looking for how to heal ear infections naturally, there are several great natural cures you can prepare at home to battle your ear infection. These remedies are cheap, easy to make, and have all-natural ingredients so you dont have to worry about what exactly youre putting in your body. Check out the best natural cures for ear infections, all tried and tested.
Read Also: How To Do Abc In Sign Language
How To Take Oral Antibiotics
Itâs important to always take your antibiotics as prescribed. It may be tempting to combine the doses, but they will not be as effective and could lead to adverse side effects, such as stomach upset.
Even if you begin to feel better, you should continue to take the antibiotics until you finish your medication to prevent the infection from returning. You should avoid alcohol while taking antibiotics.
While antibiotics are good for clearing a bacterial infection, they can also rid the body of helpful “good” bacteria at the same time. Because of this, you may want to consider taking a probiotic supplement while you are on antibiotics.
Probiotics are living organisms that can help to prevent the imbalance of bacteria within your gut that often comes from taking antibiotics. Studies have shown that taking probiotics while taking antibiotics can lower the chances of side effects from a bacterial imbalance, such as gastrointestinal upset and diarrhea.
Symptoms Of Ear Infection
Babies and small children might:
- pull or rub their ear
- have a high temperature
- have redness around the ear
- be restless or irritable
- not respond to noises that would normally attract their attention
See your doctor if:
- your child is in pain
- there is discharge from the child’s ear
- your child is unwell or vomiting
- your child can’t hear properly
- there is swelling behind the ear and the ear is being pushed forward
- your child keeps getting ear infections
Read Also: Sign Language For Hungry
How Long Does It Take For Olive Oil To Clear Ear Wax
Just like anything in excess is harmful, too much ear wax buildup in ones ear can cause ear pain, dizziness, decreased hearing, ringing in the ear, etc. In such situations, it is required that one cleans up the ear wax buildup formed inside their ears to bring back the ears to their normal condition.
Ear wax can cause blockage of the ear when the ear wax gets pushed too deep inside the ear canal. It is one of the most common culprits for many ear problems like loss of hearing, serious ear pain, etc. Use of earbuds i.e cotton swaps for cleaning the ear or other similar objects like bobby pins which people use to remove ear wax can sometimes instead of removing ear wax push the wax deeper into the ear canal.
However, an easy and simpler way to clear ear wax from ones ear is to use olive oil. Olive oil can be safely used by a person in their ears to reduce and clear the ear wax buildup that has been formed in ones ears. Olive oil is one of the most common oil presents in most homes and thus, can be easily accessible whenever one wants to use it to clear up their ear wax.
Olive oil has been used using ages as a traditional remedy to treat ear infections and hence can also be used effectively and effortlessly used to clear wax. Olive oil has certain antibacterial properties in itself and thus assists in easing ear-related issues.
|Olive oil for treating ear infections
|2 3 days
Medical Treatment In Children
Doctors often take a wait-and-see approach when treating ear infections in children to avoid over-prescribing antibiotics, which can lead to antibiotic resistance.
A doctor may sometimes write you a prescription for antibiotics if symptoms are severe or dont resolve within 2 to 3 days. Alternatively, they may write you a prescription but recommend waiting first to see if your childs symptoms get better after 2 to 3 days.
Its important to finish your entire prescription. Often, a 7- or 10-day prescription of amoxicillin is prescribed.
You shouldnt give children aspirin without their doctors instruction. Aspirin is a preventable risk factor for developing Reyes syndrome, a rare disorder that causes brain and liver damage.
You May Like: How To Pair Phonak Hearing Aids With Iphone
Seattle Childrens Urgent Care Locations
If your childs illness or injury is life-threatening, call 911.
Treatment for an Ear Infection
Dont Miss: Hearing Aid In Spanish
Why Do Kids Get Ear Infections
Kids get ear infections more than adults do for several reasons:
- Their shorter, more horizontal eustachian tubes let bacteria and viruses find their way into the middle ear more easily. The tubes are also narrower, so more likely to get blocked.
- Their adenoids, gland-like structures at the back of the throat, are larger and can interfere with the opening of the eustachian tubes.
Other things that can put kids at risk include secondhand smoke, bottle-feeding, and being around other kids in childcare. Ear infections are more common in boys than girls.
Ear infections are not contagious, but the colds that sometimes cause them can be. Infections are common during winter weather, when many people get upper respiratory tract infections or colds .
Read Also: Why Does My Hearing Aid Beep
Prevention Of Ear Infections
There are a few things you can do to reduce your chances of getting an ear infection, although its important to note that you cant always prevent them.
- Make sure youre up to date with your vaccinations
- Dont try to clean your ears with your fingers or using cotton buds
- Make sure you dry your ears after a shower or going swimming
- Try to cover your ears when you go swimming
- Avoid exposure to smoky environments
When To Call Your Doctor
You should talk to your doctor or pediatrician about any ear infections and if you or your child has the following symptoms:
- Fever greater than 101 F
- Severe ear pain and drainage from the ear
- A stiff neck
- Pus or blood in the outer ear
Also call your pediatrician if your child is sluggish, cant stop crying despite efforts to soothe, shows signs of weakness, has a crooked smile, and/or is not walking straight.
Don’t Miss: What Is Poop In Sign Language
If Your Ear Is Still Blocked After A Weekit Could Be Hearing Loss
So, if your ear is still blocked on day two and you havent any really great ideas as to whats causing it, you might be understandably impatient. In almost all cases, your blockage will take care of itself after a few days. But the general rule of thumb is that if things last more than a week or so, it might be a good idea to see a specialist.
That sensation of feeling like your ears are blocked can also be a sign of hearing loss. And as you probably know from our other posts, untreated hearing loss can cause other health concerns, especially over time.
Doing no harm first will give your body a chance to mend and clear that blockage away naturally. But intervention could be necessary when those natural means fail. How long that takes will vary depending on the root cause of your blocked ears.
Check If It’s An Ear Infection
The symptoms of an ear infection usually start quickly and include:
- discharge running out of the ear
- a feeling of pressure or fullness inside the ear
- itching and irritation in and around the ear
- scaly skin in and around the ear
Young children and babies with an ear infection may also:
- rub or pull their ear
- not react to some sounds
- be irritable or restless
- be off their food
- keep losing their balance
Most ear infections clear up within 3 days, although sometimes symptoms can last up to a week.
|Inner ear infection
|Middle ear infection
|Outer ear infection
|Can affect both children and adults
|Usually affects children
|Usually affects adults aged 45 to 75
|Caused by viral or bacterial infections
|Caused by viruses like colds and flu
|Caused by something irritating the ear canal, such as eczema, water or wearing earplugs
|Affects parts of the inner ear like the labyrinth and vestibular system, and can lead to labyrinthitis
|Affects the eustachian tube, which connects the middle ear to the back of the nose
|Affects the ear canal
You May Like: How To Clean Airpods Pro Ear Tips
Where Is The Middle Ear
The middle ear is behind the eardrum and is also home to the delicate bones that aid in hearing. These bones are the hammer , anvil and stirrup . To provide the bigger picture, lets look at the whole structure and function of the ear:
The ear structure and function
There are three main parts of the ear: outer, middle and inner.
- The outer ear is the outside external ear flap and the ear canal .
- The middle ear is the air-filled space between the eardrum and the inner ear. The middle ear houses the delicate bones that transmit sound vibrations from the eardrum to the inner ear. This is where ear infections occur.
- The inner ear contains the snail-shaped labyrinth that converts sound vibrations received from the middle ear to electrical signals. The auditory nerve carries these signals to the brain.
Other nearby parts
- The eustachian tube regulates air pressure within the middle ear, connecting it to the upper part of the throat.
- Adenoids are small pads of tissue above the throat and behind the nose and near the eustachian tubes. Adenoids help fight infection caused by bacteria that enters through the mouth.
Can Ear Infections Be Prevented
Some lifestyle choices can help protect kids from ear infections:
- Breastfeed infants for at least 6 months to help to prevent the development of early episodes of ear infections. If a baby is bottle-fed, hold the baby at an angle instead of lying the child down with the bottle.
- Prevent exposure to secondhand smoke, which can increase the number and severity of ear infections.
- Parents and kids should wash their hands well and often. This is one of the most important ways to stop the spread of germs that can cause colds and, therefore, ear infections.
- Keep children’s immunizations up to date because certain vaccines can help prevent ear infections.
Recommended Reading: Htc Resound Case
Can You Treat Dog Ear Infections At Home
The simple answer is no. Dog ear infections require vet treatment and medication in order to restore a healthy ear canal.
After the veterinarian has evaluated your pet, they will determine if any further home treatment is appropriate. This can be done if a small amount of debris is present and the eardrum is intact.
Dr. Wendy Brooks, DVM, DABVP, notes that if a large amount of debris present, a veterinarian must perform a thorough deep clean while the pet is under sedation.2
Recommended Reading: How To Say Sorry In Asl
Cleaning Your Ear Canal
If earwax or loose material is blocking your ear canal, it can stop ear drops from working properly.
If you think you have too much earwax, you shouldnt try to remove it yourself. Using cotton buds or other objects to try to clean earwax out of your ears can push it further inside and block your ear. You might also damage the skin inside your ear canal, which can lead to an ear infection.
Instead, your GP may suggest one of the following methods to clean your ear canal before you use ear drops. Sometimes they may need to refer you to a specialist in ear, nose and throat conditions for these procedures.
- Syringing and irrigation. This gently washes out any earwax and debris blocking your ear canal.
- Dry swabbing. This means using dry cotton swabs to gently remove any loose material from your ear canal.
- Microsuction. This involves using a device to gently suction out wax and any other material from your ear. Your doctor or another trained specialist will do this procedure using a microscope or special camera to view your ear.
If your ear canal is very swollen, your doctor may suggest inserting an ear wick into your ear. This can only be done by a specialist. An ear wick is a small sponge pad. Once its in your ear, it can be soaked with an antibiotic solution. This allows drops to fall deep into your ear. The wick is usually left in place for at least a couple of days. Generally, your doctor or nurse will remove it but it may fall out on its own.
Also Check: Loud Ringing In Right Ear Meaning Spiritual
About Our Health Information
At Bupa we produce a wealth of free health information for you and your family. This is because we believe that trustworthy information is essential in helping you make better decisions about your health and wellbeing.
How Do Ear Infections Happen
A middle ear infection usually happens because of swelling in one or both of the eustachian tubes . The tubes let mucus drain from the middle ear into the throat.
A cold, throat infection, acid reflux, or allergies can make the eustachian tubes swell. This blocks the mucus from draining. Then, or grow in the mucus and make pus, which builds up in the middle ear.
When doctors refer to an ear infection, they usually mean otitis media rather than swimmer’s ear . Otitis media with effusion is when noninfected fluid builds up in the ear. It might not cause symptoms, but in some kids, the fluid creates a sensation of ear fullness or “popping.”
Read Also: How Do You Say Pretty In Sign Language