Tea Tree Oil To Treat Ear Infection At Home
Tea tree oil contains antifungal, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties. This oil can be applied as ear drops to give instant relief from earache. If you are not comfortable using tea tree oil, you can add a few drops of olive oil.
What you need:
- 3 drops tea tree oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Mix three drops of tea tree oil, two tsp of olive oil, 1 tsp of colloidal silver and 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- Warm the mixture slightly and pour into a dropper bottle
- Lie down on one side with your head tilted using a towel
- Use the dropper to put the mixture into the ear. Hold it for five minutes
- Tilt your head to the opposite side to drain out the mixture from the other ear
How it works:
Tea tree oil contains therapeutic properties that include antiseptic, antibacterial, fungicide, and stimulant. All these properties are an excellent remedy for treating an ear infection.
Note:;Try this remedy two or three times a day for two days.
Other Causes Of Earache Or Ear Pain
Ear discomfort may be due to pain from a nearby structure that that radiates to the ear:
- TMJ pain. The temporomandibular joint, where the jaw attaches to the skull, is located adjacent to the external ear canal, and inflammation of this joint may be associated with ear pain. TM joint pain may be due to trauma or arthritis. Teeth grinding may cause irritation and ear pain as well.
- Sinusitis may be associated with increased pressure within the middle ear, causing pain.
- Dental problems and toothaches may radiate pain to the ear area.
- Mastoiditis. The mastoids are bony prominences of the skull filled with air cells and are located behind the ear. Infection of these areas may cause ear pain.
- Pharyngitis and tonsillitis may cause pain that radiates to the ear. A peritonsillar abscess will often result in ear pain in addition to difficulty opening the mouth and difficulty swallowing.
- Thyroid inflammation and carotid artery pain may also be associated with ear pain
- Trigeminal neuralgia. Inflammation of the fifth cranial nerve may cause significant facial pain including ear pain.
- Tinnitus. While not truly pain, ringing in the ear may cause significant discomfort
- Barotrauma describes injury to the ear because an acute change in pressure within the middle and inner ear. This may include changing pressures from flying in an airplane, scuba diving or snorkeling, or trauma due to a blast injury. Damage may occur to any or all of the eardrum, middle and inner ear.
I What Is Bacterial Infection
To understand what bacterial infection is and how to treat bacterial infection, we should perceive the concept of bacteria. According to Dr. James Steckelberg, who is a consultant in the Division of Infectious Disease as well as a professor of medicine working at Mayo Medical School, bacteria are microscopic and single-cell organisms that are able to live almost everywhere, regardless climate and location.As you know, bacteria can live in the air, soil, and water. They also live on and inside many carrying parties such as plants, animals, and even human bodies. By that, they have certain impacts on the carrying parties, actually. In addition to the benefits that they can bring, for instance, they perform vital functions for organisms as well as in the environment, bacteria are still considered as a negative connotation. Bacterial infection is an example.
If you want to understand in depth, you can click at ;and read the specific study on bacteria.
Also Check: How To Teach Yourself American Sign Language
What Causes Ear Infections
Ear infections are caused by bacteria and viruses that create inflammation of the middle ear when fluid builds up behind the eardrum. In children, they usually start when the child has a sore throat, cold, or other upper-respiratory infection.
According to the American Academy of OtolaryngologyHead and Neck Surgery, Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria are thought to cause 50 to 60 percent of cases of otitis media. Before the vaccine for it became available, each pneumococcal infection caused:
- about 5 million ear infections;
- more than 700 cases of meningitis;
- 13,000 blood infections ; and
- other health problems, including pneumonia, deafness, and brain damage.
Also known as a punctured eardrum, a perforated eardrum is a break or hole in the eardrum, most commonly caused by an ear infection, physical damage, or a loud noise. Looking and functioning like the covering on a drum, the eardrum, or tympanic membrane, protects the delicate middle and inner ear from harmful elements. Rupturing this delicate membrane can lead to pain, hearing loss, tinnitus, and/or ear drainage. While not always preventable, trauma-induced instances can be avoided by not inserting foreign objects into the ear canal.
Though they do occur in adults, ear infections with resultant eardrum perforations occur more frequently in children. An ear infection can cause fluid to build up in the middle-ear space, creating pressure on the eardrum and leading to rupture.
How To Choose A Product
Its important to choose a high-quality olive oil if youre using it for medicinal purposes. When choosing an olive oil, look for extra virgin olive oil. This type of olive oil isnt chemically processed, .
You can also purchase olive oilbased herbal ear drops. These contain extracts from medicinal plants, such as garlic, that might provide added benefits. You can purchase these drops on .
Also Check: Warm Compress For Ear Infection
Fever In Young Infants
If a baby younger than 3 months old has a rectal temperature or forehead temperature of 100.4 F or higher, they need to go to the emergency room, even if there are no other symptoms.
For infants age 6 months or older, toddlers, and older children: Acetaminophen or ibuprofen are options.
Never give children aspirin, as it puts them at risk of a rare but serious condition known as Reye’s syndrome.
For adults: Acetaminophen or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen can help. Neither aspirin nor naproxen should be given to children unless directed by a healthcare provider.
Earache Remedies For Kids
Since children are especially prone to ear infections, given their smaller eustachian tubes, there are some medications on the market specifically for earaches in kids. Drugstores sell pain-relieving eardrops that can help your child feel better if their earache is due to a cold or flu, swimmers ear, or allergies.
In addition, childrens formula acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be used as earache remedies to help ease discomfort from inflammation in kids 6 months or older. Be sure to consult your childs pediatrician before giving an kind ofanti-inflammatory medication and avoid aspirin for children under 16.
Also Check: Phonak Tv Link Pairing
Yeast Infections In Men
Although vaginal yeast infections are more common, yeast infections may also be common for men. These are known as a penile yeast infection when it affects the penis. If not treated, penile yeast infection may develop various symptoms, which are unpleasant, uncomfortable, and perhaps unsightly. If your infection spreads in your bloodstream, it may also lead to severe consequences.
How To Treat An Ear Infection At Home
Which parts of the ear can become infected?
Read Also: Does Sign Language Have Different Languages
Lemon For Bacterial Infection
Lemon is another home remedy that treats many infections caused by bacteria, especially respiratory infection. Lemon can help to remove the mucus accumulated in the respiratory tract. Moreover, drinking lemon juice also gets rid of the bacteria trapped in the mucous. Therefore, lemon is indispensable on the list of tips on how to treat bacterial infection.
Besides, let us remind you of another important health benefit of lemon, which is its ability to combat allergy and asthma thanks to the significant amount of vitamin C it contains. If you want to investigate deeper, you can follow this link.
What Are Ear Infections
Ear infections, which can affect the ear canal or the middle ear, are common in babies. According to a study in Pediatrics, 23 percent of babies in the United States will experience at least one ear infection by the time they are 12 months old. That figure rises to more than half by the age of 3 years.
Ear infections tend to start either with an unhealthful bacterial growth or a viral infection, such as a common cold.
There most common types of ear infections in babies are:
- Acute otitis externa . Also known as swimmers ear, AOE refers to an infection in the ear canal.
- Otitis media. An infection in the middle ear can cause inflammation, leading to a fluid buildup behind the eardrum. Sometimes, the narrow passageways that connect the middle ear to the back of the nose, called the Eustachian tubes, can swell.
- Otitis media with effusion . This infection occurs when fluid builds up in the middle ear but does not usually cause pain or fever.
- Acute otitis media . This refers to a fluid buildup in the ear, which typically results from a bacterial infection.
Babies and children are more prone to ear infections as their Eustachian passages are shorter and narrower that than those of adults. This not only makes it easier for bacteria to reach the middle ear, but it means fluid is more easily trapped.
Other symptoms to look out for include:
It is not always possible to prevent ear infections in babies, but there are some steps caregivers can take to make them less likely:
Also Check: Im Sorry In Sign Language
Treating Middle Ear Infections
You may be prescribed antibiotics. Some antibiotics may be taken orally. Others can be applied directly to the site of the infection with ear drops. Medications for pain, such as over-the-counter pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs may also be used to manage your symptoms.
Another helpful technique is called autoinsufflation. Its meant to help clear your eustachian tubes. You do this by squeezing your nose, closing your mouth, and very gently exhaling. This can send air through the eustachian tubes to help drain them.
Distraction To Treat Ear Infection At Home
If you are battling an earache, then it is best to keep yourself distracted to keep your mind off the pain. You can watch a movie; have a bubble bath, take a nap, play games on your phone, and gorge on your favourite snacks.
What you need:
- Treat yourself to a good book or movie
- Visit a spa or a salon
- Take a luxurious bubble bath
How it works:
Keeping yourself distracted can help to keep your mind off the pain.
Note:;Try all these ideas whenever you face an earache.
You May Like: Can Dehydration Cause Ringing In The Ears
Perform The Valsalva Maneuver
This method can also help open closed eustachian tubes. Be careful not to blow too hard. This can damage your ear drum.
Home And Natural Remedies
Doctors usually advise caregivers to watch their child for 2 to 3 days to give the babys immune system the chance to fight off the infection without the need for antibiotics.
During this time, doctors will probably recommend that caregivers treat the symptoms of the infection at home. Remedies may include:
- Over-the-counter medication. In babies of 6 months or older, caregivers may consider giving the child acetaminophen to relieve pain or fever. Speak to a doctor before giving any medication to babies under 3 months of age.
- Warm compress. Holding a warm compress to the childs ear may also help ease the pain.
- Fluids. Giving the child plenty of fluids to drink encourages swallowing, which can help drain the middle ear and relieve painful pressure.
Read Also: Signia Telecare Portal
Amazing Home Remedies For Staph Infection
Have you ever felt the pain from the lower skin swelling? That might be the symptom of a Staph rash caused by bacteria. Worse than this, its easily spread from one person to another rapidly if you dont know how to treat it correctly. Luckily, there are many amazing home remedies for Staph infection that can help you avoid any bad reaction and side effect.
Before exploring what they are, lets find out how people carry such a bacteria on the surface of their skin, and whether it causes any further problem or not. ;;
Two Home Remedies For Earaches That Are Best Left On The Shelf
1.OTC numbing drops
Dr. Nguyen-Huynh recommendsavoiding numbing drops. The effect is very brief, and sometimes it does theopposite and stings the ear.
Be it garlic, tea tree or olive people swear by putting oil in the ear to help with ear infections. Whilegarlic does have antibacterial properties, Dr. Nguyen-Huynh urges caution. If youreusing it for a middle ear infection, it wont get to the source of the problem.And even if you do have a hole in your eardrum, there arent studies showingits safe to put garlic in there.
Recommended Reading: How To Say We In Sign Language
Home Remedies For Ear Infections In Dogs Without Prescriptions
This commonly known technique is controversial. Some veterinarians see this over-the-counter product as a good ear cleaning agent. Others see its use as risky. Read on to understand why.
I remember as a child my father used this technique to clean MY ears!
Its suggested to use one part of peroxide mixed with one part of water to kill the bacteria present in the ear, by using a cotton wool soaked with the mixture to clean it.
That said, peroxide also attacks good bacteria in the ear, so use this in moderation. Also, in the case of a yeast infection, this product could cause more inflammation. Due to its chemical action, the peroxide leaves the ear wet, which technically predisposes it to further infections.
While some recognize its effectiveness, the supervision of an animal health professional when using this technique is always recommended.
Using this remedy will require you to unleash your talents as a chef!
You can follow this recipe from Wellpet:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of coconut oil with garlic over low heat to create a marvelous antibacterial concoction!
- You can use this cooled mixture to clean your dog’s ears, again with cotton wool or gauze.
In any case, ear infections in dogs should be taken seriously even if they are very common.
If your dog shows signs such as shaking his head, scratching his ears or they are smelly, use our natural remedy or the other treatments suggested to relieve him of his ear infection symptoms.
Garlic May Interact With Some Medications
Garlic supplements should not be taken with medications that are transported by P-gp. This includes:
Because of the increased risk of bleeding associated with garlic supplements, talk to your healthcare provider about their use if you take an anticoagulant such as warfarin or if you need surgery.
Garlic supplements may interfere with the effectiveness of saquinavir and other medications, dietary herbs, or supplements.
Talk to your healthcare provider before taking any supplements, including garlic.
Recommended Reading: How To Connect Phonak Hearing Aids To Iphone
Basil Leaves To Treat Ear Infection At Home
Basil contains anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and analgesic properties that are considered effective for relieving earaches. Putting at least 2 drops of the basil juice into the ear can prevent an ear infection.
What you need:
- Crush few basil leaves and extract the juice
- Transfer its juice to a dropper bottle
- Put three or four drops of this juice to the ears
How it works:
Basil leaves contain antibiotic properties that can help to cure earache and prevent infection.
Note:;Repeat this remedy once or twice a day to see effective results.
Infections Inside The Ear
Antibiotics are not usually offered because infections inside the ear often clear up on their own and antibiotics make little difference to symptoms, including pain.
Antibiotics might be prescribed if:
- an ear infection does not start to get better after 3 days
- you or your child has any fluid coming out of the ear
- you or your child has an illness that means there’s a risk of complications, such as cystic fibrosis
They may also be prescribed if your child is less than 2 years old and has an infection in both ears.
Read Also: How To Pair Compilot With Hearing Aids