When Do You Need To See A Doctor
Most of the time, ear pain resolves quickly in few days. However, if it is severe pain and your ear is bleeding, the person needs medical care.
Also, if you experience any of these, then consult a physician:
- Discharges of fluid from the ear
- Earache or pain that persists more than 4 days
What Else Do You Need To Make Your Decision
Check the facts
- Sorry, that’s not right. Most ear infections clear up on their own.
- You’re right. Most ear infections clear up on their own.
- It may help to go back and read “Get the Facts.” Most ear infections clear up on their own.
- Sorry, that’s not right. Antibiotics do not relieve ear pain immediately. Your child may need to take an over-the-counter medicine for pain.
- That’s right. Antibiotics do not relieve ear pain immediately. Your child may need to take an over-the-counter medicine for pain.
- It may help to go back and read “Get the Facts.” Antibiotics do not relieve ear pain immediately. Your child may need to take an over-the-counter medicine for pain.
- That’s right. Antibiotics can have bothersome side effects, such as vomiting, diarrhea, and an allergic reaction.
- No, that’s not right. Antibiotics can have bothersome side effects, such as vomiting, diarrhea, and an allergic reaction.
- It may help to go back and read “Compare Your Options.” Antibiotics can have bothersome side effects, such as vomiting, diarrhea, and an allergic reaction.
1.How sure do you feel right now about your decision?
3.Use the following space to list questions, concerns, and next steps.
I Wouldnt Advise Putting Food Stuff In Your Ear
Ive read a lot of articles about putting oil, cinnamon, garlic, onions and other ingredients in your ear to soothe the pain of an ear infection. I wasnt keen on this kind of activity. It sounded more like some kind of YouTube challenge than a cure for my affliction. However, I did put some TCP on a cotton pad and rest it over the top of the infected ear. This did seem to help, though it was a little cold, which did not help.
Also Check: How To Turn On Hearing Aid Mode On Iphone
Home Remedies For Ear Infections
Ear infections are caused by bacteria or viruses in the middle ear. Ear infections occur more often in children than adults. Some causes and contributing factors that lead to ear infections are wax buildup, upper respiratory infections, food allergies, environmental allergies, fetal alcohol syndrome, genetics, nutritional deficiencies and internal injuries. Some common signs that someone is suffering from an ear infection are pain in the ear, tugging at the ear, difficulty sleeping, headache, poor response to sounds, high fever, fluid draining from the ear, vomiting, diarrhea and so on.
The ear is made up of three parts: outer, middle and inner.
An ear infection can occur in any of the three parts. Inner ear infections are the most serious. It is important to treat an ear infection to prevent complications, including damaging or rupturing the ear drum. Untreated ear infections can also lead to chronic recurrence and can even cause deafness! It is important to consult a doctor, but for immediate relief you can try some natural treatments. There are many time-honored, simple and easy home remedies that can help to get rid of the pain and other symptoms of an ear infection.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for an ear infection.
Can I Treat An Ear Infection At Home
Swimmers ear home treatment
An outer ear infection may take several days to heal, but the pain usually is gone within one week. Moreover, the warmer the water, the higher the likelihood of getting swimmers ear, for example, people who swim in the summer are more likely to develop an outer ear infection than wintertime surfers.
Middle ear infection home treatment
Numerous studies have shown that viruses cause middle ear infections. Pain management for ear pain for two or three days will allow the bodys natural immune system to fight and cure the infection, much like the common cold. However, some people with middle ear infections may need to see a doctor or other health-care professional for medical treatment.
Inner ear infection and labyrinthitis home treatment
Inner ear infections and labyrinthitis usually treat inner ear infections in adults and children.
Antibiotics and outer ear infections
Antibiotics and middle ear infections
Antibiotics and inner ear infections
- Inner ear infections are rare, and usually need to be treated by an Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist.
Also Check: Connecting Phonak Hearing Aids To Iphone
Tea Tree Oil For Ear Pain
Some ear pains are caused by fluid or material buildup in the ear, while others are caused by infections.
Why does it Work?
Tea tree oil contains an antibacterial component called terpinen-4-ol, which is also an anti-inflammatory agent. Additionally, it has astringent properties that dry up fluids embedded in the ear. Tea tree oil is thus useful as a natural remedy for ear pain that results from infection or fluid buildup.
How to Use?
Add three drops of tea tree oil to one tablespoon of olive oil and warm it to thin the mixture.
How much to Use?
Apply four to five drops into the ear canal and hold for ten minutes before letting it drain out.
More Ear Infection Remedies
Top Foods for Ear Infections
- Water: Helps maintain hydration and clear out mucus.
- Wild-caught fish: Omega-3 fats found in wild-caught fish help to reduce inflammation.
- Non-dairy baby formula: If a baby drinks formula, I recommend switching to coconut or goats milk-based formulas which tend to cause fewer allergies. However, breast-feeding is most ideal.
- Fruits and vegetables high in vitamin C: Keeps immune system strong, which helps the bodys ability to ward off infection.
Foods to Avoid
- Potential food allergens: Some common allergens include conventional dairy, gluten, shrimp and peanuts.
- Conventional dairy: Pasteurized-cow dairy products can be mucus-producing and worsen infection.
- Sugar: Reduces immune function and encourages inflammation.
- Processed foods: These foods may contain added chemicals and dyes that young children can be sensitive to.
Supplement Ear Infection Remedies
- Garlic oil ear drops Garlic oil is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.
- Zinc Zinc boosts immune function and promotes healing.
- Vitamin C Vitamin C enhances immune function and lowers inflammation.
- Vitamin D3 Vitamin D3 helps support the immune system.
You May Like: How To Teach Yourself American Sign Language
Massage Your Childs Ear
If your child is complaining about severe ear pain, you can give him a gentle massage under the earlobe . By massaging this area, you can help alleviate stressed ear muscles, as they can be a primary cause of this pain.
Whats important to remember is that these ear massages should be gentle. If the pressure is too firm, you could actually make things worse. Instead, gently massage under the ear in a circular motion with light pressure for about 5-10 minutes, or until your childs pain becomes less severe.
Sleep Without Putting Pressure On The Ear
Some sleep positions will aggravate pain from ear infections, while some can help relieve it. Sleep with the affected ear raised instead of having it faced down toward the pillow. This can help the ear drain better if necessary.
You can also sleep with your head elevated by using extra pillows. This can also help the ears drain faster.
Try Alcohol And Vinegar Eardrops
Alcohol can help evaporate the water in your ear. It also works to eliminate the growth of bacteria, which can help prevent infection. If the trapped water occurs due to earwax buildup, the vinegar may help remove it.
Dont use this method if you have any of these conditions:
Glue Ear Or Otitis Media With Effusion
OME is a build-up of liquids deep in the ear, and it causes temporary hearing loss. It is painless most of the time, but you might feel a sudden stabbing pain in the ear if there is liquid pressure.
However, the glue ear clears up by itself, but it will take a minimum of 2 months. If it does not clear up then, you need to do a minor procedure. The doctor will place grommets inside the ear to help discharge the liquid.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Turn Off Hearing Aid Mode On Iphone
What Matters Most To You
Your personal feelings are just as important as the medical facts. Think about what matters most to you in this decision, and show how you feel about the following statements.
Reasons to give your child antibiotics
Reasons to wait and see
I’m not worried about the risk of side effects from antibiotics.
I’m worried that my child could have side effects from antibiotics.
I want to get my child’s infection taken care of now.
I’m willing to wait a couple of days for the infection to go away on its own.
I’m not concerned that using antibiotics a lot could make them not work in the future.
I’m concerned that antibiotics might not work in the future if my child uses them a lot.
I don’t want to spend money on medicine my child may not need.
Ear Infection Home Treatments And Remedies
Ear infections can occur in the outer ear , middle ear , and inner ear . Natural and home remedies to treat pain include:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen and acetaminophen
- Applying a warm compress on the infected ear.
- Applying naturopathic ear drops with ginger, tea tree, or olive oil may help with pain and inflammation.
Talk with your doctor or pediatrician before using any herbal or naturopathic medicine for ear infections.
Read Also: Dr Lano Ent New Braunfels
Preventing An Earache Before It Starts
Want to protect against ear infections in the first place? Your surest bet is to prevent the spread of germs that can lead to infection.
Make sure your child receives the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine , since pneumococcal bacteria is the most common cause of an ear infection.
Also, breastfeeding for at least 6 months has shown to boost the babys immune system, helping to prevent sickness.
More generally to prevent earaches, you should keep your home smoke-free and practice healthy everyday habits like handwashing.
These methods will not only protect against ear infections but a whole host of illnesses you and your family are much better without!
How Well Do Antibiotics Clear Up Ear Infections
Antibiotics work most of the time to treat ear infections caused by bacteria. But they won’t treat ear infections caused by viruses.
No matter what causes the infection, most children 6 months and older won’t need antibiotics. Up to 80 out of 100 ear infections get better on their own, while 20 out of 100 don’t.footnote 2
You can help ease your child’s pain at home, whether you use antibiotics or wait for the ear infection to get better on its own.
- Give your child an over-the-counter pain reliever like acetaminophen or ibuprofen . Read and follow all instructions on the label. If you give medicine to your baby, follow your doctor’s advice about what amount to give. Do not give aspirin to anyone younger than 18. Aspirin has been linked to Reye syndrome, a serious illness.
- Put a warm cloth on the ear.
- Help your child rest by arranging quiet play.
- Give your child eardrops for pain if your doctor prescribes them.
Doctors may prescribe antibiotics if a child:footnote 1
- Is very ill from the infection. For example, your child may be dehydrated.
- Has other health problems, such as cleft palate or repeat infections that could put him or her at risk for serious problems from an ear infection.
- Has cochlear implants. Children who have these hearing devices are at risk for more serious infection.
Don’t Miss: Hearing Aid Mode Iphone 6
Which Specialties Of Doctors Treat Earaches And Ear Pain
Earaches and ear pain are very common symptoms, and may be evaluated and cared for by most primary care providers, including family practice specialists, pediatrician, and internal medicine specialists. Urgent care and emergency medicine doctors also evaluate ear pain. Otolaryngologists are able to care for ear issues and are able to perform surgery on all parts of the ear and face.
Otitis Media With Effusion
Otitis media with effusion is a buildup of fluid deep inside the middle ear. The pressure of this fluid may cause pain and temporary hearing loss.
OME, which is sometimes called “glue ear,” may clear up on its own. Sometimes a minor procedure to place small tubes in the ear can help drain the fluid to provide relief.
Read Also: How To Clean Cane Corso Ears
What Type Of Ear Infection Is It
There are two common types of ear infections:
- Otitis media: This ear infection affects the middle ear . Middle ear infections are common in kids and tend to cause trouble hearing, fevers, and pain without much outward signs such as ear drainage or swelling.
- Otitis externa: This infection affects the ear canal, and is commonly known as swimmers ear because water exposure is a risk factor for it. Swimmers ear is painful, too, and tends to have more visible signs such as a swollen ear canal or pus drainage.
There are several home remedies for earaches, says Dr. Nguyen-Huynh. Try these for the first two or three days if symptoms are mild.
Can An Ear Infection Be Prevented Or Avoided
Although an ear infection is not contagious, the bacteria or virus that caused it is often contagious. Its important to:
- Vaccinate your child with a pneumococcal conjugate vaccine to protect against several types of pneumococcal bacteria. This type of bacteria is the most common cause of ear infections. Get your childs vaccinations on time.
- Practice routine hand washing and avoid sharing food and drinks, especially if your child is exposed to large groups of kids in day care or school settings.
- Avoid second-hand smoke.
- Breastfeed your baby exclusively for the first 6 months and continue breastfeeding for at least 1 year. Place your baby at an angle while feeding.
Common allergy and cold medicines do not protect against ear infections.
Don’t Miss: Iphone 6 Hearing Aid Mode
Outer Ear Pain When Touched
Most of the time, outer ear pain leads to swelling or redness of the ear. These are the common signs of earache. Also, most of the time, it is caused due to bacterial infections. Rarely can it be due to viruses, allergies, or fungi.
Furthermore, the outer ear is divided into two parts: the auricle and the outer ear canal. The ear canal leads from the eardrum to the auricle.
In medical terms, outer ear inflammation is called otitis externa, which is mainly caused due to infections.
How Do I Use It
While theres no clear evidence about the effectiveness of olive oil on its own for common ear problems, its also not associated with any serious health consequences, so you can still try it to see for yourself.
To apply drops to your ear, use a glass dropper or you can dip a cotton swab in olive oil and allow the excess to drip into your ear. Dont put the cotton swab or any other object in your ear.
You can use room-temperature olive oil, though some people prefer to warm it up in a pan over low heat. Make sure to test the temperature on your skin first. The oil should be just slightly warm, not hot.
Follow these instructions to safely apply olive oil to your ears at home:
Tailor the application to your need, and contact your doctor if you arent seeing the desired results:
Also Check: Warm Compress For Ear
Why Do Kids Get Ear Infections
Kids get ear infections more than adults do for several reasons:
- Their shorter, more horizontal eustachian tubes let bacteria and viruses find their way into the middle ear more easily. The tubes are also narrower, so more likely to get blocked.
- Their adenoids, gland-like structures at the back of the throat, are larger and can interfere with the opening of the eustachian tubes.
Other things that can put kids at risk include secondhand smoke, bottle-feeding, and being around other kids in childcare. Ear infections are more common in boys than girls.
Ear infections are not contagious, but the colds that sometimes cause them can be. Infections are common during winter weather, when many people get upper respiratory tract infections or colds .
How To Treat An Ear Infection At Home
Which parts of the ear can become infected?
Read Also: What Is Poop In Sign Language