Corneal Ulcers In Dogs
The cornea is the transparent, shiny membrane that makes up the front of the eyeball. With a corneal ulcer, fluid is absorbed from the tears into the stroma, giving a cloudy appearance to the eye. The most common cause of a corneal ulcer is trauma. Less common causes of corneal ulcers include bacterial infections, viral infections, and other diseases.
What Is An Ear Infection
An ear infection is one of the most common conditions among children. It is caused by a viral or bacterial infection. These infections create pressure in the Eustachian tube that connects the throat to the middle ear. This pressure causes the ear pain.
A chronic ear infection can last for 6 weeks or more, but most infections are viral and go away on their own after 3 days without needing to see a doctor. Children are more likely to get an ear infection when theyre exposed to illness from other kids, especially during the winter months. Babies who drink from a bottle while lying down are likely to get the infections, too.
Read Also: Warm Compress For Ear Infection
Complications Associated With A Middle Ear Infection
Complications from middle ear infections are extremely uncommon, but can occur, especially in very young children with a not yet fully developed immune system. These complications include:
- Mastoiditis: When the infection spreads into the bones of the ear. Symptoms include fever, pain, tenderness, headache and a creamy discharge from the ear. This condition is treatable, but seeking medical attention early is important.
- Cholesteatoma: A result of tissue build-up from recurrent instances of infection. If left untreated, the condition can cause serious damage. Treatment typically involves surgery.
- Labyrinthitis: A condition that occurs when an infection in the middle ear spreads to the inner ear. Symptoms include dizziness, hearing loss, vertigo and loss of balance. It is treatable.
- Other complications: Other possible complications include facial paralysis, meningitis and brain abscess, but these conditions are extremely rare.
Also Check: Hungry In Asl
What Are The Harms Of Fluid Buildup In Your Ears Or Repeated Or Ongoing Ear Infections
Most ear infections dont cause long-term problems, but when they do happen, complications can include:
- Loss of hearing: Some mild, temporary hearing loss usually occurs during an ear infection. Ongoing infections, infections that repeatedly occur, damage to internal structures in the ear from a buildup of fluid can cause more significant hearing loss.
- Delayed speech and language development: Children need to hear to learn language and develop speech. Muffled hearing for any length of time or loss of hearing can significantly delay or hamper development.
- Tear in the eardrum: A tear can develop in the eardrum from pressure from the long-lasting presence of fluid in the middle ear. About 5% to 10% of children with an ear infection develop a small tear in their eardrum. If the tear doesnt heal on its own, surgery may be needed. If you have drainage/discharge from your ear, do not place anything into your ear canal. Doing so can be dangerous if there is an accident with the item touching the ear drum.
- Spread of the infection: Infection that doesnt go away on its own, is untreated or is not fully resolved with treatment may spread beyond the ear. Infection can damage the nearby mastoid bone . On rare occasions, infection can spread to the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord and cause meningitis.
Can Ear Infections Be Prevented
Some lifestyle choices can help protect kids from ear infections:
- Breastfeed infants for at least 6 months to help to prevent the development of early episodes of ear infections. If a baby is bottle-fed, hold the baby at an angle instead of lying the child down with the bottle.
- Prevent exposure to secondhand smoke, which can increase the number and severity of ear infections.
- Parents and kids should wash their hands well and often. This is one of the most important ways to stop the spread of germs that can cause colds and, therefore, ear infections.
- Keep children’s immunizations up to date because certain vaccines can help prevent ear infections.
Don’t Miss: Im Sorry In Sign Language
What Will Happen If A Yeast Infection Is Left Untreated
If a mild yeast infection is left untreated, it may go away on its own in a few days. More severe yeast infections could take up to 2 weeks to clear without treatment.
If your infection is causing painful and uncomfortable symptoms for more than 3 days, you should seek medical treatment.
The length and type of treatment for a yeast infection vary greatly from person to person and depend on the individual symptoms and severity.
Dont Miss: When To Get Meds For Sinus Infection
How Can I Prevent An Ear Infection
Remove as many environmental pollutants from your home as you can, including:
- Tobacco smoke
Also, reduce your or your child’s exposure to people with colds, and control allergies.
Taking steps to prevent colds, the flu, and other illnesses can prevent some, but not all, ear infections. Here are some important things to do:
- Be sure everyone in your household, including your children, get the proper vaccines when recommended. That includes flu and pneumococcal vaccines.
- Make hand washing a habit that becomes part of the family’s routine.
- If possible, avoid group care for children, especially during cold and flu season.
Because formula-fed babies are more likely to get ear infections, it is better to breastfeed your infant for the first 6 to 12 months, if possible, to prevent ear infections.
You May Like: Phonak Hearing Aid Battery Size
Treatment Of Kidney Infection
Most kidney infections need prompt treatment with antibiotics to stop the infection damaging the kidneys or spreading to the bloodstream.
You may also need painkillers.
If youre especially vulnerable to the effects of an infection , you may be admitted to hospital and treated with antibiotics through a drip.
Most people who are diagnosed and treated promptly with antibiotics feel completely better after about 2 weeks.
People who are older or have underlying conditions may take longer to recover.
Are Some Dogs More Susceptible To Inner Ear Infection
Dogs with long, heavy ears seem to be predisposed to chronic ear infections that can ultimately lead to otitis interna. Spaniel breeds, such as the Cocker Spaniel, and hound breeds, such as the Bloodhound and Basset Hound, are the most commonly affected breeds. Regardless of breed, any dog with a chronic ear infection that is difficult to control may develop otitis interna if the eardrum is damaged, as a damaged ear drum allows bacteria to migrate down into the inner ear.
“Dogs with long, heavy ears seem to be predisposed to chronic ear infections that ultimately lead to otitis interna.”
Excessively vigorous cleaning of an infected external ear canal can sometimes cause otitis interna. Some ear cleansers are irritating to the middle and inner ear and can cause signs of otitis interna if the eardrum is damaged and allows some of the solution to penetrate too deeply.
Recommended Reading: Asl Sign For Hungry
How Do Ear Infections Happen
A middle ear infection usually happens because of swelling in one or both of the eustachian tubes . The tubes let mucus drain from the middle ear into the throat.
A cold, throat infection, acid reflux, or allergies can make the eustachian tubes swell. This blocks the mucus from draining. Then, or grow in the mucus and make pus, which builds up in the middle ear.
When doctors refer to an ear infection, they usually mean otitis media rather than swimmer’s ear . Otitis media with effusion is when noninfected fluid builds up in the ear. It might not cause symptoms, but in some kids, the fluid creates a sensation of ear fullness or “popping.”
What Should You Do If You Suspect A Kidney Infection
If you suspect you may have a kidney infection, dont ignore it. These symptoms will not just go away on their own. A kidney infection that is left untreated can result in:
- Kidney scarring
- Kidney failure
- High blood pressure
- Blood poisoning : If untreated, the bacteria from the kidney infection spreads into your bloodstream and can cause the infection to become life-threatening.
A kidney infection is a serious condition that deserves prompt medical care. Visit a doctor or urgent care unless your symptoms are severe.
Also Check: How To Pair Widex Hearing Aids To Iphone
Yeast Infection In The Mouth: What Is Oral Thrush
Yeast infection in the mouth, also known as oral thrush or simply thrush, is a fungal infection. This affects the mucous membranes of the mouth and causes white, slimy patches on your tongue. This is also called oral candidiasis that commonly occurs because of the fungus Candida albicans but may also be caused by Candida tropicalis or Candida glabrata.
Most people have a small amount of Candida fungus in their mouths, stomachs, and skins. Oral thrush is generally a non-serious condition for most persons. However, individuals with a weakened immune system may have more severe symptoms.
What Is A Middle
The middle ear is the space behind the eardrum, which is connected to the back of the throat by a passageway called the Eustachian tube. Middle ear infections, also called otitis media, can occur when congestion from an allergy or cold blocks the Eustachian tube. Fluid and pressure build up, so bacteria or viruses that have traveled up the Eustachian tube into the middle ear can multiply and cause an ear infection.
Middle ear infections are the most common illness that brings children to a pediatrician and the most common cause of hearing loss in children. Middle ear infections can also cause a hole in the eardrum or spread to nearby areas, such as the mastoid bone. Adults also can get middle ear infections.
Children in day care have an increased risk of middle ear infections. The increased exposure to other infected children increases your child’s chances of getting infected.
You May Like: Teach Myself Sign Language
How Is Otitis Interna Treated
Otitis interna is a very serious condition. If your dog is unable to eat or drink normally due to nausea or disorientation, then hospitalization for intravenous fluid therapy is generally warranted. Nausea must be controlled and dehydration avoided. It may also be necessary to sedate or anesthetize your dog in order to adequately see the ear tissues, take samples for bacterial culture, and appropriately clean the ear.
Treatment of the underlying infection is very important, and your veterinarian will prescribe the appropriate medications. Medications will be administered directly in the ear and orally. Antibiotics will be used for a bacterial infection for 6-8 weeks minimum. If the infection is fungal in nature, an anti-fungal medication will be prescribed. Whatever medications are chosen, it is critical that they be given precisely as prescribed.
“If your dog has an altered balance, restrict his activity during treatment to prevent falling injuries.”
If your dog has an altered balance, restrict his activity during treatment to prevent falling injuries. These dogs should not have access to stairs as they may take a tumble. You may also need to hand feed your dog temporarily – reaching down into a dish may stimulate nausea.
Signs Of A Kidney Infection To Know And When To Go To The Hospital
Youre probably not constantly on the lookout for signs of a kidney infection. But getting a urinary tract infection can open you up to also getting an infection in one or both kidneys, which means this is an illness that should be on your radar. Yep, its an unfortunate truth: A urinary tract infection can lead to a kidney infection, which is medically known as pyelonephritis and can be incredibly serious. So if youre experiencing symptoms of a UTI and thinking, Eh, I can wait a few more days to get those antibiotics, think again. Heres what you need to know about the signs of a kidney infection, its underlying causes, why its so important to get treatment as soon as you can, and more.
Recommended Reading: Does Seltzer Water Cause Kidney Stones
You May Like: How To Sign Poop In Asl
What Puts My Child At Risk Of Getting Ear Infections
We know some important risk factors, but not all the reasons why some children develop more ear infections than others. The most important risk factors include:
- a family history of ear infections
- living with someone who smokes
- going to early childcare â babies and children are exposed to more colds and viruses
- having an older brother or sister in childcare or early primary school also increases the risk
- season of the year â ear infections are more common during the autumn and winter months
There is no clear evidence that allergy causes ear infections.
What Is Noninfectious Vaginitis
Noninfectious vaginitis usually refers to vaginal irritation without an infection being present. Most often, this is caused by an allergic reaction to, or irritation from, vaginal sprays, douches, or spermicidal products. It may be also be caused by sensitivity to perfumed soaps, detergents, or fabric softeners.
Another form of noninfectious vaginitis, called atrophic vaginitis, usually results from a decrease in hormones because of menopause, surgical removal of the ovaries, radiation therapy, or even after childbirthparticularly in breastfeeding women. Lack of estrogen dries and thins the vaginal tissue, and may also cause spotting.
Read Also: How To Avoid A Yeast Infection While Taking Antibiotics
Read Also: Angel Sign Language
Warning Signs To Watch Out For
The risk of having any of these complications is extremely low, Chandrasekhar says. And thanks to advances in treatments, complications have become even more rare.
But there are a few signs to be on the lookout for. Pain that continues to get worse, changes in your mental state, or a very high spiking fever are all indications theres potentially something serious going on, Chandrasekhar says.
To better your chances of recovery, visit your doctor as soon as you notice any of these symptoms.
How Do You Cure An Ear Infection Naturally
You can remove your ear infection naturally by using these formulas:You can remove your ear infection by using cold and warm compresses. It must be suitable.Neck exercise is also suitable. The neck rotation also removes the ear canal pressure that is really caused by ear infection or ear pain.Mullein is also appropriate.Vitamin D is also apposite.Garlic oil is also fit for it.Hydrogen peroxide.Facial gua sha.
Recommended Reading: What Does Ringing Ears Mean Spiritually
Why Do Kids Get Ear Infections
Kids get ear infections more than adults do for several reasons:
- Their shorter, more horizontal eustachian tubes let bacteria and viruses find their way into the middle ear more easily. The tubes are also narrower, so more likely to get blocked.
- Their adenoids, gland-like structures at the back of the throat, are larger and can interfere with the opening of the eustachian tubes.
Other things that can put kids at risk include secondhand smoke, bottle-feeding, and being around other kids in childcare. Ear infections are more common in boys than girls.
Ear infections are not contagious, but the colds that sometimes cause them can be. Infections are common during winter weather, when many people get upper respiratory tract infections or colds .
What Can I Do For My Child Now
Do what you can for your childs pain and tears. In addition to giving him lots of TLC, you can give him pain relievers, or your doctor may prescribe pain-relieving ear drops. You may also want to talk with your doctor about getting your childs hearing tested chronic ear infections or chronic fluid buildup in the ear can cause hearing problems, which in turn can cause speech delays.
Also Check: Baby Sign Language Hungry
Middle Ear Hearing Loss
Temporary hearing loss during a single ear infection is a common symptom that typically reverses when the infection clears. Just as with eardrum perforations, recurring infections interrupt the normal healing cycle. This may result in a buildup of scar tissue that interferes with sound reaching the auditory nerve.
When Should I Call The Doctor About An Ear Infection
- You or your child develops a stiff neck.
- Your child acts sluggish, looks or acts very sick, or does not stop crying despite all efforts.
- Your childs walk is not steady he or she is physically very weak.
- You or your childs ear pain is severe.
- You or your child has a fever over 104° F .
- Your child is showing signs of weakness in their face .
- You see bloody or pus-filled fluid draining from the ear.
- The fever remains or comes back more than 48 hours after starting an antibiotic.
- Ear pain is not better after three days of taking an antibiotic.
- Ear pain is severe.
- You have any questions or concerns.
Don’t Miss: Ears Ring When Drunk
What Causes Swimmers Ear
A common source of the infection is increased moisture trapped in the ear canal from baths, showers, swimming, or moist environments. When water is trapped in the ear canal, bacteria that normally inhabit the skin and ear canal multiply, causing infection of the ear canal. Swimmers ear needs to be treated to reduce pain and eliminate any effect it may have on your hearing, as well as to prevent the spread of infection.
Other factors that may contribute to swimmers ear include:
- Contact with excessive bacteria that may be present in hot tubs or polluted water
- Excessive cleaning of the ear canal with cotton swabs or anything else that may cause breaks in the ear canal skin allowing bacteria in
- Contact with certain chemicals such as hair spray or hair dye
- Damage to the skin of the ear canal following water irrigation to remove wax
- A cut in the skin of the ear canal
- Other skin conditions affecting the ear canal, such as eczema or seborrhea
Finally, whats often called swimmers ear can also caused by ill-fitting hearing aids, or contaminated earbuds, earphones, or other ear devices.