Which Specialties Of Doctors Treat Earaches And Ear Pain
Earaches and ear pain are very common symptoms, and may be evaluated and cared for by most primary care providers, including family practice specialists, pediatrician, and internal medicine specialists. Urgent care and emergency medicine doctors also evaluate ear pain. Otolaryngologists are able to care for ear issues and are able to perform surgery on all parts of the ear and face.
Symptoms Of A Middle Ear Infection
A middle ear infection generally develops very rapidly.
Signs and symptoms in children may include:
- Ear pain
- A child may excessively pull, tug or touch their ears
Symptoms of a middle ear infection in adults may include:
- Ear pain
- Partial hearing loss/muffled hearing
- Fluid in the ear or yellow, clear or bloody discharge from the ears
It is important to consult a doctor when:
- Symptoms develop in a child of six months or younger
- A child displays symptoms for 48 hours or more and has a temperature of 39 C or more
- Symptoms show no sign of improvement after two or three days
- Symptoms become worse rather than better over the first few days
- Discharge presents itself
- Symptoms are experienced by a person with an underlying health condition, such as cystic fibrosis or congenital heart disease, which could make complications more likely
Garlic And Gauze/ Cheesecloth
This is another way to use garlic for ear infection;treatment, which is applied through a gauze or cheese cloth as follows:
- Peel some garlic cloves and remove the tip
- Wrap these garlic cloves in a piece of cheesecloth or gauze
- Place it into the affected ear while the cut end is kept facing into the ear
- Place a warm washcloth or rice bag over the ear
Note: This method should not be applied for ear infection in children and warm garlic should be used get better relief.
Don’t Miss: How To Say Sorry In Sign Language
Key Points About Ear Infection Remedies
- Ear infections tend to occur in young children, but they can affect anyone.
- Ear infections can either be viral or bacterial. Treating a viral ear infection with conventional antibiotics typically is ineffective and includes undesirable side effects.
- Do ear infections clear up on their own? Yes, they certainly can, especially when you do what you can to boost your or your childs immune system!
7 Natural Remedies for Ear Infections
Garlic Olive Oil And Calendula Petals For Ear Infection
Now is the addition of calendula petals to the mixture of olive oil and garlic for ear infection treatment. Calendula petals, in fact, have relieving properties to ease the pain and infection as well.
- Take an oven dish then place 1/2 oz of crushed garlic cloves with 1/2 ounce of calendula petals into and cover it with olive oil stirring well.
- Heat them in the oven to 200 degrees for a few minutes then turn it off but still let it stay in the oven for 8 hours
- Strain the oil, store it in a jar, and keep it in the refrigerator
- Drop 3 to 5 drops of this oil into the infected ear to get relief.
- Repeat regularly.
Read more:;Natural home remedies for clogged ears
You May Like: Sign Language Yes
How Is The Cause Of An Earache Diagnosed
A health-care professional usually diagnoses the cause of an earache by talking to the patient, parent, or caregiver and performing a physical examination. In general, X-rays and other tests are unnecessary.
The health-care professional may use an otoscope to look into the ear canal to evaluate the canal and the ear drum.
- If otitis externa is the cause of the earache, the ear canal will look swollen and inflamed. There may be thick drainage visible. Sometimes, the canal may be so swollen and painful that the canal cannot be seen.
- Bullous myringitis is diagnosed by using the otoscope to visualize the ear drum. The tissue will look inflamed and fluid blisters can be seen.
- Otitis media causes inflammation and swelling of the middle ear. The health-care practitioner cannot see the middle ear directly but instead, uses the otoscope to look at the ear drum. Initially, fluid fills the middle ear , and there may be air and fluid bubbles seen behind the drum. As pressure builds, the ear drum may not move if a small puff of air is pushed through the otoscope. If the eardrum looks red and inflamed, the diagnosis of acute otitis media is made. The presence of fluid is called an effusion and may persist for two to three months after the acute infection has resolved.
- The eardrum may appear scarred if there have been previous infections.
- If tubes have been placed in the ear drum to treat chronic ear infection, these may be seen, if they are still in place.
Cold And Warm Compresses
Ice packs or warm compresses are commonly employed to relieve pain. The same can also be used in case of ear pain. Using cold or warm compresses is safe for kids as well as adults.
Why does it work?
Cold compresses numb the area and prevents inflammation while hot compresses relax the muscles improving blood flow.
How to Use?
In the case of a cold compress, place an ice pack or cold damp cloth over the affected ear for about twenty minutes. With a hot compress, place a heating pad or a warm towel over the ear for about twenty minutes. Both of these methods serve to provide temporary relief to ear pain.
Also Check: How To Teach Yourself American Sign Language
Home Care To Relieve Ear Pain
If you have ear pain, itâs a good idea to talk with your doctor about it.
Thereâs little research to say whether or not home care works, but most doctors agree these treatments are safe to try yourself:
A cool or warm compress. Soak a washcloth in either cool or warm water, wring it out, and then put it over the ear that’s bothering you. Try both temperatures to see if one helps you more than the other.
A heating pad: Lay your painful ear on a warm, not hot, heating pad.
Over-the-counter ear drops with pain relievers. If they help at all, itâs only briefly. You shouldnât use these drops if your eardrum has a tear or hole, so check with your doctor first.
Chew gum. If youâre on an airplane or driving at high altitudes and your ear pain is from the change in air pressure, chew some gum. It can help lower that pressure and ease your symptoms.
Sleep upright. While it may sound strange, resting or sleeping sitting up rather than lying down can encourage fluid in your ear to drain. This could ease pressure and pain in your middle ear. Prop yourself up in bed with a stack of pillows, or sleep in an armchair thatâs a bit reclined.
Preventive Steps For An Inner Ear Infection
Though inner ear infection is non-contagious, viruses can make them contagious. Thus you may follow the preventive steps in order to prevent yourself from an inner ear infection.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Avoid sharing food and drinks from someone, who is suffering from ear infections.
- Avoid smoking and especially second-hand smoking.
- Keep your ears neat and clean as dirt, moisture, and wax accumulation will affect your inner ear parts.
- Talk to your doctors about vaccination. Seasonal flu shots, pneumococcal, and other bacterial vaccines may help prevent ear infections.
- Protect your ears from the fluid. If it is trapped in your ear you should remove the water immediately.
- Keep drinking plenty of water and proper intake of fluids to protect yourself from dehydration.
You can;purchase the latest hearing aids at a fair price;through;HearingSol, If you need any assistance or you have a query regarding Inner Ear Infection or Hearing Loss, feel free to call us at +91-9899437202. We are always here to help you.
Also Check: How To Say We In Sign Language
Cold Or Warm Compresses
People often use ice packs or warm compresses, like a heating pad or damp washcloth, to relieve pain. The same can be done for ear pain. This method is safe for both children and adults.
Place the ice pack or warm compress over the ear and alternate between warm and cold after 10 minutes. If you prefer either cold or warm, you can use just one compress.
Some More Tips For Ear Infection Treatment
Besides taking various recipes of garlic for ear infection, it is necessary to pay attention to some points to get safe and quick relief from the ear infection as follows:
- Dont use any liquids for your ears if you are suspecting of a broken eardrum
- Always use fresh garlic instead of dried or bottled ones because it contains the most potent compounds.
- The consequence of garlic for ear infection treatment depends on the severity of the condition.
- For those who are taking blood thinning medication, the application of garlic should be limited because it is a natural blood thinner in fact.
- Always keep your ears clean to prevent the risks of ear infection.
Recommended article:;how to use garlic for sinus infection
After reading the article on 12 tips & ways on how to use garlic for ear infection in adults in our main Health;page, hope that you can know how to treat the pain and infection in the ears effectively with garlic and other natural ingredients. Please let us know if you have any question by leaving them below and share with us other ways of using garlic for ear infection if you really get.
You May Like: Airpod Hearing Aid Setting
Try Alcohol And Vinegar Eardrops
Alcohol can help evaporate the water in your ear. It also works to eliminate the growth of bacteria, which can help prevent infection. If the trapped water occurs due to earwax buildup, the vinegar may help remove it.
Dont use this method if you have any of these conditions:
Surgery And Other Procedures
Drainage tubes . If your child has recurring ear infections that do not respond to antibiotics, or if the fluid in the ear affects his hearing, your doctor may suggest putting in drainage tubes. During this surgery, which requires general anesthesia, the surgeon inserts a small drainage tube through the eardrum. Fluid behind the eardrum can drain out, equalizing the pressure between the middle and outer ear, which should improve your child’s hearing. The tubes usually come out on their own as your child grows and the drainage holes heal.
If ear infections persist after age 4, your doctor may suggest having your child’s adenoids removed.
Recommended Reading: How To Say Vagina In Sign Language
Earaches Usually Go Away On Their Own
When it comes to ear infections, many will clear up on their own within a 2-10 days.
Earaches;are often not even caused by bacteria, so antibiotics arent the best treatment. This is why it breaks my heart when children get placed on antibiotics over and over again for reoccurring ear infections. This practice is usually not effective;and can set up a lifetime of digestive and health issues.
Thats why its a good idea to treat an earache with natural remedies at home first to avoid unnecessary antibiotics.
Get free updates on babys first year! Free Updates on First Year
Apple Cider Vinegar With Warm Water Ear Drops
- Mix equal parts apple cider vinegar with warm, not hot, water.
- Apply 5 to 10 drops in each affected ear using a clean dropper bottle or baby syringe.
- Cover your ear with a cotton ball or clean cloth and lean on your side to let drops enter and sit in the ear. Do this for about 5 minutes.
- Repeat this application as often as desired to treat an outer ear infection.
Don’t Miss: Hearing Aid In Spanish
Sleep Without Putting Pressure On The Ear
Some sleep positions will aggravate pain from ear infections, while some can help relieve it. Sleep with the affected ear raised instead of having it faced down toward the pillow. This can help the ear drain better if necessary.
You can also sleep with your head elevated by using extra pillows. This can also help the ears drain faster.
Essential Oil Ear Ache Treatment Rub
This recipe is adapted from the book Be Your Own Doctor by Rachel Weaver, M.H.. Remember, do not apply undiluted essential oils directly to the skin always use a carrier oil. I dont recommend this as an earache remedy for small children, who may rub their ears and then rub the oil into their eyes.
Essential Oil Earache Rub
Mix all ingredients and apply gently around the ears at the first sign of infection. Reduces infection and relieves inflammation.
Read Also: Connecting Phonak To Iphone
Tips On How To Use Garlic For Ear Infection In Adults
Ear infection is a possible-to-occur condition in both children and adults but children are easier to be affected. This condition is caused by virus or bacteria in the middle ears, or other contributing factors like wax buildup, environmental allergies, food allergies, upper respiratory infections, internal injuries, genetics, fetal alcohol syndrome, and nutritional deficiency. Ear infection is often presented through tugging at the ear, some pain in the ear, fluid draining from the ears, headaches, high fever, diarrhea, vomiting, difficulty sleeping, and poor response to sounds.
Among various treatments for this condition, people often choose garlic for ear infection instead of antibiotics because of its natural health benefits, which makes it popularly used for a long time. With antiviral, anti-oxidizing, and antibacterial properties, garlic helps treat the infectious action on the ear as well as reduce the ear pain and swelling. Besides, its allicin and anti-microbial property, garlic acts against the pain and infection in the inner ear.
It is time now for VKool.com;to show you 12 tips & ways on how to use garlic for ear infection in adults effectively. All of the suggested recipes with garlic and other essential ingredients are natural and effective for this terrible condition in the ears indeed. For those who are suffering from the pain and infection in the ears, just spend a few minutes reading our article to have more experience!
What Is An Inner Ear Infection
Otitis interna, is the medical terminology of the inner ear infection. It is a disease that involves inflammation of the inner ear .
Now, this may become pretty painful, if proper care is not given, especially during the initial stages. Thus, if you are an adult having an ear infection, it is advised that you give serious attention to its symptoms and see a doctor as early as possible.
A condition diagnosed as an inner ear infection may actually be a case of inflammation and not an actual infection. An inner ear infection is inflammation or irritation of the parts of the ear called labyrinthitis, which is responsible for balance.
Also Check: Ivy League Formula For Tinnitus Reviews
Consider Tea Tree Oil
A second good natural remedy for ear infections, both in adults and children, is tea tree oil. This woody scented essential oil is used for a variety of reasons because of its antiseptic benefits. In fact, its been one of those herbal remedies for infections and wounds throughout the centuries around the world. Its still used in Eastern medicine, even today.
Dont put the essential oil directly into the ear. There are some people allergic to this, and it can cause damage to the ear. You want to apply it around the ear instead.
Dilute the essential oil instead of applying directly to the skin. Use coconut oil for the best results, as coconut oil also has antibacterial and antiviral properties. Whatever the reason for the infection, you will cure it with this method.
The benefit of tea tree oil is that you can use it with a perforated ear drum since youre not applying it into the ear. Massage it into the skin for the best results.
Earache Remedies You Can Try
1. Hot or cold compress
The skinny: Grab an ice or heat pack and put it onthe affected ear to help with the pain.
Doctors advice: The temperature you use is up to you. Wrap it in a towel tomake sure its not too cold or too hot. You dont want to cause any burns.
2.Over-the-counter pain relievers
The skinny: Pain relievers work as advertised, helping take the edge off the pain.
Doctors advice:Both adults and kids can rest easier when they take acetaminophen or ibuprofen at the right dosage. These medications reduce pain and fever, making you feel more comfortable.
3. Sleep position
The skinny: How you sleep can affect ear pain. Rest with your head on two or more pillows, so the affected ear is higher than the rest of your body. Or if the left ear has an infection, sleep on your right side. Less pressure = less ear pain.
Doctors advice: It could be effective, though a few inches may not make a big difference in pressure measurement. But if it makes you feel better, go for it.
Don’t Miss: Does Sign Language Have Different Languages
Why Is My Ear In Pain
Ear pain is most commonly associated with fluid buildup behind the ear drum linked to a middle ear infection. This is also known as acute otitis media .
Thankfully, you don’t need antibiotics to treat most ear infections. They are viral infections, not bacterial infections. In fact, using antibiotics may cause adverse reactions.
In Antibiotics for acute otitis media in children, which reviewed earache treatments for several thousand children, they noted that, Adverse events occurred more often in children taking antibiotics. Those children treated with antibiotics did not get better faster than those who simply waited for the infection to pass.
Sometimes ear pain is caused by injury, or water or other fluid trapped in the ear.